Borrego Solar is the largest privately owned commercial solar installer with operations in California, Massachusetts and New York.
“Borrego’s electricians in California are wonderful to work with. For emergency work, I get pictures and detailed write-ups the next day. They follow-up on warranty replacement parts without me having to remind them. And they make recommendations to keep our systems up and running as profitably as possible. They always seem to be able to do what I need them to do, when I need them to do it.”Cari Helberg, Asset Manager, Ecos Energy
A Brief Company History
Borrego Solar was established in 1980 by Dr. James Rickard, a San Diego State University Professor of astrophysics who lived in the town around the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park just east of San Diego, California. This is where the name “Borrego Solar” comes from.
In 2001, Borrego Solar’s focus shifted towards grid-tied solar installations for homeowners and small businesses. The company moved to the San Diego metropolitan area where it steadily grew its customer base in Southern California and eventually expanded to Berkeley in Northern California.
As the two California offices of Borrego Solar raced to keep up with the demand for residential clean energy solutions, other states with notoriously high energy costs—like Massachusetts—seemed to take notice.
In 2007, the New England branch of Borrego Solar opened just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, and the mission to accelerate the adoption of solar energy continued on the east coast.
A few years later, the organization’s strategic direction changed with the decision to focus 100% of its resources on the commercial and utility markets. By focusing on larger scale projects, Borrego Solar was able to make a greater impact on the environment and the communities it serves by moving from installing kilowatts to Megawatts.See some of our work
As awareness in solar technology increased, and more state governments found creative ways to incentivize installations through renewable energy credits and innovative PV programs—the solar industry as a whole grew exponentially. This was the impetus behind Borrego Solar’s expansion into new markets, and in 2013 operations in New York were officially launched.
In 2015, on the 35th anniversary of the company’s founding, Borrego Solar expanded its solar operations and maintenance (O&M) offering to non-EPC customers in need of an experienced partner to monitor, maintain and operate existing photovoltaic assets in operation.
A year later (2016) Borrego Solar formally launched its Energy Storage Division to meet the increasing demand for greater control over peak load shifting and intermittency issues faced by municipal and investor owned utilities.
A Few Corporate Milestones:
- We’re the #1 private commercial solar provider in the United States.
- We’re the #1 commercial solar provider in Massachusetts
- We’re the #1 commercial solar provider in New York
- We’ve installed over 300MWs of solar energy since launching our commercial division in 2009.
- Our MWs under management tripled the first year the O&M division launched and passed the half a gigawatt milestone in 2016.
- We engineered and constructed the first long term solar PPA with the US Air Force at Edwards Air Force Base.
- We engineered and constructed the largest airport solar project in California at the Sacramento Airport.
- We engineered and constructed the largest portfolio of solar projects in Massachusetts for the University of Massachusetts.
- We engineered and constructed the largest solar project in New Hampshire for the Town of Peterborough.
- We completed the first solar landfill project in Massachusetts to receive approval to operate by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection for the Town of Easthampton.
- We engineered and installed the largest portfolio of completed projects in Southern California Edison’s Solar PV Program.
- We engineered and constructed the largest (5MW DC) PACE financed solar project in the US in Madera, California.
- We engineered and constructed the largest portfolio of solar projects on Long Island, New York.
Borrego Solar is one of the most experienced solar EPCs in the industry. Our long track record of engineering, constructing and maintaining commercial- and utility-scale solar power installations is unmatched, because we focus 100% of our efforts on delivering the best value to our customers.
Hear What Our Customers Have to Say About Us
Take a closer look at some of the solar installations we’ve completed over the years on our projects page.
Our Experienced Solar Project Teams Can HelpLearn How
35+ Years · 1,100+ Projects Flexible Financing · Full Service