As a trusted solar & energy storage COMPANY, our mission is to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy
Since 1980 we have installed more than 650 megawatts of solar and currently have more than 900 MW of utility-scale and commercial systems under management. For decades, we have maintained a reputation for quality, deep staff expertise, and a focus on building long-term relationships based on trust and transparency.
But being the largest private commercial solar and energy storage company in the U.S. is not enough. Solving the world’s energy problems means moving from MWs to GWs across each of our three core businesses: project development, EPC, and O&M. And that is what we are going to do. Our goal is to be operating at the gigawatt scale by 2024.
“Five years from now we want to be able to look in the mirror and say we are making a real contribution to solving the world’s energy problems since our business’s mission is to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. Not that we are working towards it, but that we are doing it now.”
Our teams of skilled developers, engineers, designers, construction managers and maintenance technicians optimize systems to meet your specific pricing, production and schedule criteria, design standards and risk appetite. Through our continuous improvement culture we focus on improving efficiency and adding value at every step of large-scale solar and storage projects.
As a national solar & energy storage company, we serve customers across the U.S. We have offices in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York.
Borrego Solar is the largest private commercial solar company in the U.S. with a goal to become the leading large-scale solar and energy storage provider nationwide.
Borrego Solar was established in 1980 by Dr. James Rickard, a San Diego State University Professor of astrophysics. The nearby Anza-Borrego Desert State Park inspired our name.
In 2001, the company focused on grid-tied solar installations for homeowners and small businesses. We opened an office in San Diego, and steadily grew the customer list. Our Berkeley office opened in 2003.
In California, we served increasing demands for clean energy solutions, while other states with notoriously high energy costs—like Massachusetts—took notice. In 2007, we opened an office outside of Boston.
A few years later, the organization’s strategic direction changed to focus exclusively on large-scale utility and commercial solar. We moved from installing kilowatts to megawatts. As awareness of solar technology increased, and more state governments found creative ways to incentivize installations, the solar industry as a whole grew exponentially.
This drove an expansion into new markets. In 2013 we opened an office in New York.
On our 35th anniversary, Borrego Solar expanded its solar operations and maintenance (O&M) to non-EPC customers. We provided an experienced partner to monitor, maintain, and operate existing commercial solar installations.
Borrego Solar formally launched its Energy Storage Division. This meets the need for greater control over peak load shifting and intermittency issues faced by municipal and investor owned utilities.
Borrego Solar reached a significant milestone of having completed more than 500 megawatts of solar energy projects.
Company kicks of “Gigawatt Revolution” and restructures business units to achieve the goal of being the largest utility-scale & commercial solar & storage company nationwide.
“Borrego’s electricians in California are wonderful to work with. For emergency work, I get pictures and detailed write-ups the next day. They follow-up on warranty replacement parts without me having to remind them. And they make recommendations to keep our systems up and running as profitably as possible. They always seem to be able to do what I need them to do, when I need them to do it.”
- Engineering and Construction
- First Long Term Solar PPA with the U.S. Air Force at Edwards Air Force Base
- Largest airport solar project in California at the Sacramento Airport
- Largest portfolio of solar projects in Massachusetts for the University of Massachusetts
- Largest solar project in New Hampshire for the Town of Peterborough
- Largest portfolio of completed projects in the Southern California Edison Solar PV Program
- Largest (5MW DC) PACE financed solar project in the U.S. in Madera, California
- Largest portfolio of solar projects on Long Island, New York
- Largest CA community college solar project for Chaffey CCD
- Largest solar project of its kind for a ski resort in the U.S. for New York’s Gore Mountain Ski Resort
- Largest municipally-owned landfill solar project in New England for the City of Worcester
- Operations and Management
- MWs under management tripled the first year the O&M division launched and passed the half a gigawatt milestone in 2016
- #1 private commercial solar company in the U.S.
- #1 commercial solar company in Massachusetts
- #1 commercial solar company in New York
- One of the most experienced solar EPCs in the industry