Director of Wholesale Market Development
Borrego Solar seeks a Director of Wholesale Market Development, to lead new business development efforts that take us for the first time into wholesale energy markets. This is a critical new position at Borrego. As the solar and energy storage markets continue to mature, and as Borrego’s largest projects continue to get bigger, we are encountering an important qualitative transformation. Until now, our business has been rooted in retail tariffs and renewable energy programs; now, we are beginning to participate more directly in energy markets and ISOs/RTOs. We are hiring this position because we need help with this transformation, in order to continue making progress on our mission to help solve the world’s energy problems by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy.
Location: Candidates for this position will preferably be located in the Boston area, or be willing to relocate.
About the Position: The Director of Wholesale Market Development will work collaboratively with our development and policy teams, leading Borrego to new business opportunities rooted in wholesale markets, and driving improvements to those markets that facilitate greater deployment of renewable energy and energy storage systems across the US. We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader who has experience with the structure and governance of energy markets, and familiarity with key stakeholders, and who can use that experience to help accelerate our business development efforts in areas that are for now unfamiliar for us. While the initial focus of this position will be on the Northeast, we expect the scope of the position to evolve as new opportunities present themselves across the country.
Borrego Solar is a national leader in renewable energy, with strong and steady leadership and outstanding culture. Unique in our industry, Borrego has steadily grown and remained profitable over the last decade. This position is a rare opportunity to join an outstanding company, in a critical role that will be fundamental to the next key adaptation we need to make in service of our mission. This is an ideal job for someone with deep knowledge of the bulk electricity system and a desire to put that knowledge to work on the clean energy transformation.
The Director of Wholesale Market Development will lead Borrego’s business development and policy efforts at the wholesale level.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Preparing business plans and working collaboratively across the organization to implement business development strategies that add meaningfully to Borrego’s existing market-leading solar and storage businesses.
- Educating key stakeholder in the company about wholesale markets and their structures, and translating knowledge of those markets – and changes in those markets – into opportunities for our solar and energy storage businesses.
- Working collaboratively with Borrego’s policy team and our allies to improve wholesale market structures for renewable energy and storage projects.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Significant (8+ years) experience working with wholesale energy markets.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of successful business development leadership.
- Superior communication and analytical skills.
- Passion for accelerating the adoption of renewable energy.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)